415 Top 5 || Active Weekend Adventures
By: Katie W.
After sitting at your desk staring at a screen all week long, spending your Saturdays and Sundays getting up and active is just what the doctor ordered. And there’s no better place for fun weekend active adventures than the Bay Area! Here are my top five activities to check out:
- Lyon Street Steps: Nestled between Pacific Heights and Cow Hollow, these stairs are the perfect to get your blood pumping. Throw your lululemons on, grab your bestie and walk and/or run up and down the stairs. Get gorgeous views while working out those glutes!
- Bike across the Golden Gate: With so many bike rental shops, even if you don’t have one there’s no excuse not to do a real spin session. It’s 8 miles to Sausalito (or 22 to Tiburon if you’re up it!) and a seaside lunch or happy hour awaits you upon arrival. No one will judge you for taking the ferry on the way back – in fact you get to cut the line and board first if you have a bike!
- Urban hiking: Literally on the city’s edge, Lands End is magical place away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Spend the morning or afternoon hiking around, exploring the Sutro Baths and accompanying caves, or follow the path north for amazing views of the Golden Gate. Another option is to hike up to Twin Peaks for 180-degree views of the bay and varying lengths of hiking trails.
- Run through the Redwoods: Right in SF’s backyard in Marin are beautiful California coastlines, towering redwood forests and miles and miles of hiking trails. Just make sure you get an early start so you can grab a good parking spot, or you’ll be hiking farther than you planned.
- Stroll through the city: My personal favorite “active” activity is just walking around the city! Choose a destination that’s outside of your typical neighborhood jaunt or just wander. You’ll be surprised at the hidden streets you’ll discover, and you’re likely to stumble upon a few instagram-worthy cityscapes.
What’s your favorite way to stay active on the weekends? Share in the comment section below!
You can find Katie teaching at Pilates ProWorks Financial District Thursday nights at 5:15 p.m. and 6:15 p.m., search “Katie W.”