Advice: What It Takes To Make His Heart Skip A Beat *insight from guys themselves*
We know that the perfect date, the perfect guy and the perfect relationship is a little unrealistic — but what we do believe is that there is a perfect person for everyone out there. Someone who will compliment your personality, love you for all of who you are (the good and maybe not so good, at times!), and so on. While we can’t guarantee love, we can learn a little more from the source on what it could take for a guy to fall for you. And that’s exactly what we’ve done! We asked a handful of guys what makes their heart skip a beat and summed up the most common responses (below) — how can a girl standout amongst the rest? Now, we always say, “be yourself” and all the guys we talked to agreed with that full heartedly. So first and foremost, be confident with exactly who you are — and then, note 1-10:
1. Eye contact. A complete presence with no nonsense means not checking your phone, or even leaving it on the table when you’re on a date. It seems harmless, but can unintentionally signal you’re preoccupied or care about what time it is. The commitment to being there (on the date) is best when the phone is tucked away and out of sight. Attention is key!
2. A little affection can go a long way. This doesn’t mean make out, but smaller gestures that make them feel wanted are always good — let him know you like him! Grab his hand, lean into him when you laugh, etc. Show a little love and you’ll get a little love!
3. Don’t be late to a date. Odds are he’ll get there early anyway just to get situated, so it will seem like even more time has passed if you’re late, even 5 minutes. Be respectful of his time and he’ll appreciate you for that. Don’t use Uber Pool if you’re in a crunch for time!
4. Pay, once in a while. If he’s worth falling in love with, he should pick up the check, especially in the beginning, but that doesn’t mean you can’t step up to the plate too. Maybe you offer to buy a nightcap after dinner, or take him out and treat him to a happy hour, or dessert somewhere — a little gesture like this will leave him feeling like the bill he picked up was well worth his dime.
5. Plan ahead. Plan a date with him and take the reins, put a few personal touches on it as well. Just tell him when and where to be somewhere and let him walk away thinking what a fun time it was; he’ll be impressed that it doesn’t have to always fall on him to take care of the creative aspects.
6. Respect his personal time. Maybe he wants to watch Monday night football at the bar with his friends, don’t give him a hard time! Instead of second guessing his interest in you, just appreciate that he’s got other outlets and remember that a little independence is healthy. Stay positive and upbeat, don’t be passive-aggressive or needy. You want him high on your stock when he’s without you, not annoyed with how you react to him making plans with his buddies.
7. Let loose, a little. A healthy diet is great, but no guy wants to deal with a headache every time he’s hungry because you’ll only eat from a certain list of ingredients. We’re not saying load up on french-fries and hot dogs and we’re definitely not saying you can’t stick to a particular diet (most of the time), but once in a while show him that you’re not afraid to live a little. If the opportunity presents itself to branch out and eat something you otherwise wouldn’t, but you can tell it’s what he wants — consider deviating from your traditional diet and indulge with him!
8. Feed him (not literally). Everyone knows the way to a guy’s heart is through his stomach! We suggest breakfast — it’s a low key and yummy way to start the day! It doesn’t need to be anything fancy, but whip him up something you’re confident in making (eggs are super easy!) — add a side of bacon, toast and couple it with a Bloody Mary or Mimosa; he’ll think you’re a five star chef.
9. Sexy lingerie. Yup, we said it. Of course, it depends on what stage you’re at in your relationship, but if you’ve accomplished the stuff this far in the list then you must have been dating for a while! There’s a rule, it’s called “every guy likes sexy lingerie” (so we’ve been told), every last one — pick the right occasion, slip it on and watch his jaw drop.
10. Say I love you, or something like that. You might not want to be first to say those three words, but always speak your mind — if you don’t feel comfortable with “I love you” just yet, that doesn’t mean you can’t be first to say you truly value the time you’ve been spending together and care about him a lot. Plant the seed with how interested you are and how he alone does it for you. Once he realizes this, he’ll be that much more confident in the two of you moving forward and you’ll be that much more likely to get him to announce the former (note: guys can be “a little clueless” — they said it, not us!).
Do you have anything to add to this list? We’d love to hear your thoughts! Share in the comments section below.
xx, MY Team