Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
Nutritionist // @jenniemiremadi
It’s the heart of summer, which means that we’re constantly surrounded by summertime desserts—at BBQ’s, picnics, outdoor concerts, etc. It’s okay to have the occasional sweet treat, just swap it out for a healthy option! I have three recipes for bite sized desserts that are made from whole foods ingredients and are gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. It is possible to satisfy your sweet tooth and still feel great after!
Quick tip: if you know there are going to be desserts at an event you’re attending, bring your own! You will not only be a thoughtful guest, but you will also ensure that there’s a sweet treat you can enjoy that will leave you feeling your best.
4 oz. unsweetened, vegan dark chocolate, broken into pieces
2 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 cup almond butter
Maple syrup and/or stevia to taste
Pinch of sea salt
Mini paper cups
1) Melt chocolate, coconut oil, and sweetener(s) of choice to taste in double boiler over low heat, whisking continuously until melted and combined.
2) Taste chocolate mixture and adjust sweetener(s) based on preference.
3) Remove from stove and let cool slightly.
4) In a separate bowl, combine almond butter, sweetener(s) of choice, and salt. Taste and adjust sweetener(s) as desired.
5) Pour chocolate mixture into mini paper cups, filling each paper cup just 1/4 of the way up. Put paper cups in freezer and freeze to set, about 2-3 minutes.
6) Once chocolate mixture is frozen, remove cups from freezer use a large melon baller to scoop out a heaping spoonful of almond butter mixture and place on top of frozen chocolate.
7) Cover almond butter with chocolate mixture and fill to just below the top of the paper cup.
8) Place in freezer for 10-15 minutes or until set.
9) Serve and enjoy!
Makes 8-10 cups.
Photos by Valorie Darling