Coconut Water Kefir + Coconut Yogurt Parfait
By: Jennie Miremadi
Nutritionist // @jenniemiremadi
Gut health is critical to your overall health. One of the ways you can help support the health of your gut is by including beneficial bacteria-rich fermented foods in your diet. These recipes for coconut water kefir and coconut yogurt parfait are two of my favorite fermented foods recipes. This coconut water kefir not only tastes delicious, but is also really easy to make. Drink it plain or add it to your favorite smoothie! And, if you want to start your morning off right, look no further than this coconut yogurt parfait. You can throw it together quickly and feel satisfied all morning long.
Coconut Water Kefir
- Coconut water from 1 young coconut
- 2 tbsp coconut water kefir as a starter (I used Tonix brand as my initial starter for the first batch and then use my own homemade coconut water kefir as the starter for subsequent batches)
1) Empty out the water of one young coconut into a mason jar.
2) Heat coconut water to 92 degrees in dehydrator.
3) Remove from dehydrator and add 2 tbsp coconut water kefir to heated coconut water to start the fermentation process.
4) Make sure not to fill jar completely, leaving top 1/4 of jar empty.
5) Close lid on Mason jar tightly.
6) Leave out at room temperature to ferment for 48 hours.
7) After 48 hours, refrigerate and enjoy!
Coconut Yogurt Parfait
- 6 oz. coconut yogurt
- 2 tsp shredded coconut
- 2 tsp cacao nibs
- 2 tsp chopped almonds
1) Place 3 oz. of yogurt in a cup.
2) Add 1 1/2 tsp each of coconut, cacao nibs, and chopped almonds on top of yogurt.
3) Layer remaining 3 oz. of yogurt on top.
4) Sprinkle remaining 1/2 tsp each of coconut, cacao nibs and chopped almonds on top of yogurt.
5) Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Photos by Valorie Darling