Advice: How To Make Friends As An Adult
There’s nothing better than a support system of great friendships. The best feeling in the world is knowing that whatever life throws at you, you have an amazing group of friends to share it with and be there for you. But making friends as an adult can be difficult and sometimes even a bit overwhelming. Life is stressful enough — you may be transitioning from college to your first full time job, from your undergrad to your graduate degree, from a small town to a big city, starting your own business, or maybe even from being single to getting married, and on top of that maybe you’re moving into a new house, buying a new car, getting a dog, and the bills are piling up; now, imagine that most of your friends are likely going through something similar — feel any better? It helps knowing you’re not alone! One friend might be moving to another state for a job or school, another might be getting married and starting a family, and some might simply be so busy that they lose touch. School and youth (i.e.: less responsibilities!) provides an easier avenue to make new friends, but how can you make new friends in the years that follow? Here are a few suggestions to help you get back on the friendship wagon!
– Take a new class. You may be done with school but that doesn’t mean you can’t learn something new and meet new people in the process. And taking a specific class can help you to meet people with similar interests, making it much easier to relate to one another.
– Give someone a compliment. People typically like other people that are nice. Complimenting someone on something you admire about them — or perhaps have in common, is a great conversation starter!
– Join a team. Intramural sports are a fun way to stay active — not to mention, a little workout here and there makes for a handful of health benefits!
– Branch out. Try a new hobby or coffee shop; challenge yourself to meeting different kinds of people and to try new things — you never know, your new best friend could be right around the corner!
– Add people on Facebook. As cliché as it sounds, it is a good way to network — and keep in touch.
– Smile! It makes you more approachable to others. Plus, smiling is contagious, if you smile, chances are you’ll put a smile on someone else’s face!
– Be yourself. You are an amazing, likable person and when you are confident in yourself, others can tell! Don’t ever feel the need to change yourself in order to gain new friends.
Do you have any tips on how to make new friends? If so, share in the comments sections below!
xx, MY Team