Pumpkin Chestnut Soup
Nutritionist // @jenniemiremadi
This pumpkin chestnut soup will make the perfect addition to your holiday dinner menu. Not only does it combine some of my favorite seasonal flavors, it is creamy and decadent, and totally free of any dairy, gluten or sugar. This soup is also surprisingly quick and easy to prepare, so you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying the holiday festivities with your loved ones.
- 1 15-oz. can of organic pumpkin (BPA-free)
- 2 cups of organic, whole, roasted & peeled chestnuts
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 14-oz. can organic, full fat coconut milk (BPA-free, gum-free)
- 16 oz. organic chicken broth (homemade or sodium-free boxed)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Chopped chestnuts for sprinkling on top of finished soup (optional)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a sauté pan. Add chestnuts, onion, shallot, garlic, and salt, and sauté until vegetables are tender and chestnuts are hot.
- Then, add chicken broth to vegetables and chestnuts, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and add pumpkin and coconut milk to chicken broth, vegetables, and chestnuts, simmering uncovered and stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and use an immersion blender to blend ingredients. Alternatively, pour soup into a blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Adjust salt to taste.
- Pour soup into bowls and sprinkle with chopped chestnuts, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Makes approximately 6 cups of soup.