Welcome to the final post in our beet series with Christiann Koepke! This quick pickled vegetable recipe is extremely versatile. It’s a nice touch to pair veggies that in the same color family. Here, you’ll see a bright pink version with red onion, radish, and beet. You can swap these for a different combination like cucumber and turnip. Just add some fresh dill within the last hour before serving. The addition of agave is optional based on your preference. It balances out the vinegar without using the traditional method of added white sugar.
Quick Pickled Veggies
- 3 small-medium roasted beets, quartered lengthwise
- 2 bunches (about 12 ounces) of radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced with mandolin
- 1 large red onion, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar, organic
- 2 ½ cups filtered water
- ½ Tbsp. coriander, whole
- ½ Tbsp. fennel seeds, whole
- ½ oz. fresh lime juice (half of 1 medium lime)
- 1 tsp. pink peppercorns, whole
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. agave, optional
- Start by preparing roasted beets. Preheat oven to 425°F. Rinse beets. Cut off each end. Peel and quarter.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle very lightly with sea salt.
- Place in the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork. Remove and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Gather all remaining ingredients. Add to a large bowl. Stir.
- Place ingredients in glass jar(s). Finish with placing beets in the jar carefully as a last step.
- Seal and cool in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Store for up to 1 week.