Just looking at this broccoli salad will make you crave healthy greens. Here’s the second post in our beet series with Christiann Koepke! It’s perfect as a side for any day of the week and offers a great way to incorporate broccoli, an excellent source of vitamins K and C, a good source of folate (folic acid) and it also provides potassium and fiber.
Tip: If you want to amp up the protein and have it as a main for lunch on-the-go, add half an avocado and some pickled onions. If you have a nut allergy, omit the pistachios and add some pickled cucumbers and turnips (later in this series is a quick pickled vegetable recipe, so you’ll want to check back soon!). Lastly, you’ll have extra dressing. Add as much or as little as you like and use the leftovers as a sandwich spread or dip for any and everything.
Vegan Green Goddess Broccoli Salad
For the Salad
- 1 large broccoli head, trimmed and cut into florets
- 3 medium roasted beets, quartered lengthwise
- 1 ½ cups or 2 large handfuls/5 oz. sugar snap peas, sliced lengthwise
- ⅓ cup fresh mint, trimmed, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, trimmed, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 3-4 small english cucumbers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 handful microgreens, any variety
- Optional: ⅓ cup raw shelled pistachios
- Flaky sea salt to taste
- Green goddess dressing, recipe below
For the Dressing (makes 16 oz.)
- ½ cup chives
- ½ cup tarragon
- ½ cup parsley
- 1 Tbsp. Meyer lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (roasted is even better)
- ½ tsp. sea salt, to taste
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ cup full fat coconut cream or 1 whole avocado
For the Dressing
- Place herbs, lemon, oil, garlic, 2 Tbsp. of water, and salt in a small blender. Purée until smooth, scraping at least once and blending at least twice.
- In a small bowl, stir the mayonnaise and cream (or avocado) together.
- Add mixture to the blender and purée until rich and creamy. Adjust consistency if you’d like by adding a splash more of water to thin.
- Store in an airtight jar for up to around 1 week.
For the Beets and Salad
- Start by preparing roasted beets. Preheat oven to 425°F. Rinse beets. Cut off each end. Peel and quarter.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle very lightly with sea salt.
- Place in the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes, or until soft when pierced with a fork. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Add the broccoli florets to a food processor fitted with the base attachment and pulse to obtain a grain-like texture. Remove and place in a bowl.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the first 7 ingredients, holding the nuts, dressing, and salt.
- Next, add dressing (quantity to your preference), toss, and season with salt to taste. Add to the salad bowl. Top with nuts. Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
We’re sure this healthy and delicious recipe will get you further exploring this colorful root vegetable!